With the right pitch deck, you can hold the attention of your potential investor long enough to explain what your product does and why it is a good investment. It is an irrefutable necessity that entrepreneurs/start-ups must have a pitch deck to gather the required attention and investment to their companies.
The purpose of a pitch deck is to introduce your business to potential investors, get them excited about it and wanting to know more. Now the goal of a pitch deck is not to get money (but money is still part of it) but to gain the attention of the investor towards your company and get a follow-up meeting for more indebt discussions and hopefully get an investment offer.
How do you go about this process?
WHAT IS A PITCH DECK?
A pitch deck is a brief presentation often created using PowerPoint, keynote or Prezi, used to provide your audience with a quick overview of your business. Pitch deck acts as visual guide and reference to the key points you want to make to potential investors.
The key to writing a pitch deck is getting the right process in capturing the attention of the potential investors.
The slides will include:
- Introduction: this is a quick overview of your company and the services you provide.
- Problem: use this slide to talk about the problem you are solving and who has the problem.
- Target Market: explain who your ideal customers are, how many of them they are give a detailed data on it and how you intend to position your company in the market.
- Solution: describe your company’s products and services, its uniqueness to the need of your target market.
- Business model: explain your product services, how they bring in profit, how much you charge and which sector pays more.
- Traction/Validation: this is the time to show the great feedbacks your company has gotten from clients. What major goal has the company achieved.
- Marketing: how are you planning on finding and winning customers? Go into detail the tactics you will use in grasping the need of your target market customers.
- Team: give highlights of your team and their past venture success, their key expertise that makes a great difference in the company.
- Financials: sales, income statement, profit and loss statement e.tc.
- Competition: every business has competition. Describe how you fit in the market and how you are different.
To engage your audience is very important when creating a pitch deck, to do that take note of the following tips to make your pitch successful
- Tell a story, engage them emotionally.
- Limit each slide to expressing one idea, no repetition keeps it simple.
- Make a great first impression.
- Show the people behind your idea.
- Be consistent in your presentation.
- Know your numbers.
- Send your deck as a pdf.
In an effort to impress investors many entrepreneurs create too many slides in their pitch deck with too much information in them which truly confuses the investors, thereby defeating the purpose of the pitch deck. To not make the mistake take note of the following.
- Limit the bullets
- Don’t make the presentation too long
- Be prepared
- Create great visual to inspire people
- Don’t use small fonts
Quite easy right? It can be daunting presenting your product to investors, but with the right tools and your confidence in your product there is no way you won’t get the required attention or funds you require for you company.